Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Summer Nights

It's hitting me that we are almost in the end of August, which means it's almost September, nearly Halloween, and basically Christmas. Kids are going back to school, the sun sets just that much earlier every night, and the end-of-season storms are rolling through. As such, we are soaking in every last second of summer (even though some of us are maybe extremely excited that fall is looming). 

Last night Milo took a late nap and we had no plans, and it's finally under 100 degrees at night. I said Milo! Do you want to go outside? and within seconds, he was at the door with his right church shoe on his left foot. Milo L-O-V-E-S playing outside, and it's so fun taking him out now that he can walk and play and run and explore.

We live in a prime location in our apartment complex. We are surrounded by fields and an empty lot, at the end of a cul-de-sac. Across the way is a kind of scary park, tennis court, basketball court, and another less scary park. We went down the slides, ran around on the basketball court (BA baa!), and spent lots of time swinging- of course playing the "Milo got mommy" game and fake-falling over lots of times when his feet caught me. He thinks I'm hilarious. I'm glad someone has realized this. May he not figure out how truly nerdy I am for a good long while.
I love fall, but I think I love summer nights even more. They are nostalgic and they smell so good, you know? And the temperature is just perfect enough that you're still slightly more than warm. Before, I always thought of all the summer nights at home in Kansas staying up way too late. I thought of the summer I met Trevor, about 8 years ago to the day if you can believe it. Then I'd think of the summer nights I spent out on the roof talking on the phone to Trevor while we were dating long distance. Now, in this phase of life, I love them for a different reason. I love holding Trevor's arm, feeling more secure and safe and content than I ever could have thought possible. I love watching Milo run around and explore the world and be completely enthralled with everything. I love talking to Trevor about the day, and about tomorrow, and next year, and in 5 years, and in 50 years. I love laughing with him about all the things we think are funny that nobody else would ever get. I love gushing with him over every little thing Milo does, and knowing only he shares my complete adoration for that little munch.

These days are so crazy, but so, so sweet. We're busy and we're poor and we're just scraping the surface of what life will be. It can feel so ambiguous, but nights like these bring so much simplicity. It's safe to say that I'm looking forward to the next few months of gorgeous weather and perfect nights. And someday soon, maybe we can play outside between the hours of 10 a.m. and 7 p.m.! Crossing all our fingers and toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment