Sunday, October 6, 2013

Healthy Mommy Happy Baby: Part 2

Remember this post when I talked about body image and health and being a healthy mom and not obsessing about looking perfect while I do it? Time for an update!

All 3 of us have been getting on such a better schedule together, and it is doing wonders. It helps me so much to get to bed at a good time, know that Milo takes about 2 naps plus a little catnap a day, and eats around certain times. We're not rigid by any means, but we do have a rough routine. Milo knows what to expect and I'm way more able to get things done!
Sometimes, though, he falls asleep on our night walk at 7:45 p.m. and as much as I don't want to let him take a nap that late I just... :)
I also put up the scale. I do not enjoy admitting that at many times in life, I've spent way too much time and energy caring about what I look like and obsessing over the number staring back at me. I will always care about health. I will always care to look good and put effort into staying in shape and being healthy, and I will never let myself go. Exercise and nutrition will always be important to me and a big part of my life, because in order to function at my best, I need to feel good about my health and the way I'm taking care of my body. That being said, it didn't take me long after having Milo to realize that going to extremes for vanity is something I so do not have time for. So here are my conclusions:
Milo the yoga master cares about health, too.
I need to find my body's healthy set point and stay there. And I need to be comfortable in my own skin at that point!

I refuse to be the mom who never bakes cookies with her children.

My kids will be raised seeing a good example of living well and dedicating time to staying healthy without letting it take away from more important things like rolling around on the floor getting drooly kisses.

This set point needs to be one I can maintain relatively easily by exercising almost every day and eating a clean diet that still includes candy in moderation :).

Confidence comes from knowing I'm taking good care of myself and can realistically maintain it.

So after being totally depleted following my pregnancy, I've put on a good 15 lbs. and I'm feeling very at peace with that. I'm eating lots of fruits and veggies and whole foods (this book has taught me a ton about nutrition already- thanks for the rec, Tracy!) and I'm also not denying myself of everything good because what kind of way is that to live??
Also, cleaning. After 3 and a half years of marriage, I'm simultaneously embarrassed and thrilled to announce that I'm finally on a good cleaning schedule. Vacuuming, laundry, dishes, sweeping and mopping, cleaning bathrooms... they're all happening regularly! Hallelujah!!! And I feel SO much better in a house that's at least somewhat put together. Lived in, but tidy enough.

So essentially, I'm not 16 years old with a ridiculous metabolism anymore so I have to work for it if I want to stay in shape, and I'm a wife and a mom who cares about being on a decent schedule and cleaning. Someone tell me when I got so old and boring? :)

And for the record, I am very in love with my old and boring life :)

3 comments:

  1. Girl I totally get it! I still don't have the cleaning routine down and don't know if I ever will... but hey, we're fed and clothed and healthy! Job done for me ;)

    Sincerely,
    Old and Boring II

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it sounds like you're doing a fabulous job. I hate doing the cleaning, I don't think there will ever come a time when I like it, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, I NEED you to help me with a cleaning schedule. I should be cleaning right now, in fact. Obviously that's not happening. Also, I appreciate your attitude about the scale. You should for real be the mom who bakes cookies. Everyone loves that mom :)

    ReplyDelete