Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Fighting the Lazy Days


Do you ever have those weeks where you feel like you're just worn out all day, every day? Last week was one of those for me. Waking up was torture, focusing was near impossible, and naps were inevitable. I blame the fact that I've been staying up way too late trying to be a supportive wife for my husband in the midst of finals (I can't sleep without him there. I guess this is what 5 years of marriage has done to us ;)). Needless to say, my to-do list has been growing, my apartment needed cleaning (thank goodness for the weekend- and side note- somehow on Saturday night I got all the laundry folded while Milo was awake. I mean what?? I promise it was a fluke). This week I'm bound and determined to get back on top of my game.

When I'm having low motivation, high demand days, I've found a few things that work for me.

1- Get back into my routine. Staying up late does not work out when you're up before the sun!

2- Don't eat within 2-3 hours of bed. This is a new one I'm working on, because I'm a notorious late night snacker. But I sleep so much better when I go to bed a few hours after dinner and don't have a pre-bed blood sugar spike.

3- Get in a good workout. You all know I'm a big believer in some endorphins, and I stand by it.

4- Pay attention to what I'm eating. When I eat too many carbs, I get a headache. When I don't eat enough protein, I get tired and hungry.

5- Keep the apartment tidy. Nothing makes me less focused than clutter, and last week was bad. Now I'm not saying that my apartment is pristine by any means, but Trevor fixed the vacuum and I organized some cluttered corners, so I'm feeling much more put together now.

6- Y'all know I'm a believer of naps. I would say probably 70% of the time, I take at least a short power nap while Milo sleeps. It makes all the difference in the world and is just the pick me up I need midday.

7- Make lists. I'm an avid list keeper. I have 3 separate lists in my phone that I can check off as I finish things, and a bunch of other lists saved as notes with things like groceries, wish lists, showings, invoices, and a myriad of ideas. I also almost always add a thing or two at night before bed, because we all know that as soon as my head hits the pillow, it's time for my brain to wake up and think about all my ideas and everything I need to remember!

8- Take time out. Milo does not do well when I'm trying to get too much done in a day. We play, a lot. He has spurts of playing well on his own where I can sneak in a few emails, but he's my number one, and since I have to drag him along on all my errands, it's important for him to know I care about what he wants to do too. And let's be real. I'd rather be playing at the park than preparing presentations or cleaning the apartment any day!

Take care of yourself this busy season! Stay healthy and alert and it will be so much better! XO

1 comment: